Have a budding drummer at home? Or is learning to play drums on your bucket list? Then, get ready to rock!
Customized, private lessons for kids and adults
I create personalized lessons for each student depending on age, ability level, musical preferences, and goals. I presently have students who range in age from 8 to over 60, including some with special needs (ADHD and autism).
Please note that this is not drum therapy. There are some students for whom drum lessons would not be a good fit. This includes students who have sensory issues and are bothered by noise and those who have auditory processing issues.
Private students generally take lessons on the full drum set, either at my home or at Joyful Sounds Academy of Art and Music in downtown Fuquay-Varina, NC. Virtual sessions are also available!
What does a student need to have before starting drum lessons?
Well, besides a drum pad or drum set and a set of drum sticks, this is what’s needed:
* Good listening skills! I start by teaching how to play by ear, so listening is essential. Reading music comes later.
* A good attitude and ability to take direction.
* Ability to reach the pedals on a full-size drum set.
* Good physical coordination. Playing drums is a full-body activity!
* Ability to sit for 30 min. and pay attention.
* Ability to practice at least 15-min. a day for at least 3 times per week, both practice exercises and the song of the week.
* Desire to play drums and learn real songs, not electronic beats from a video game! Students who have been exposed to lots of different songs and types of music make great drum students!
Drumming is loads of fun! Feel free to contact me if you need more info!