Ho, ho, ho!
The Christmas season is upon us! This brings thoughts of joy to some people. Others start hyperventilating and need to reach for a paper bag.
When I look back at how much I used to do at the holidays I think, “I must have been nuts!” In addition to all the shopping, wrapping, and cooking, I used to bake 13 different types of cookies. Who does that?! And let’s not forget all the requests for free holiday performances and drumming events.
With age comes wisdom, as they say. I began paring things down and focused on what’s really important. If you’re thinking that it’s time to take a breath and regroup, I have a few ideas for you. These are especially relevant if you’re a stressed out creative type, musician, or entrepreneur.
Dialing things back
1. Batch your tasks and prioritize things.
2. Delegate, if possible!
3. Learn to say no. Don’t apologize profusely. You don’t even have to give lengthy explanations. Saying, “Sorry, I can’t.” often does it.
4. Take time for you! Get a massage, go for a walk, go to the gym, or meet a friend for coffee or lunch. Block out “Me time” on your calendar.
5. Do something silly or fun. Buy yourself one of those adult coloring books or some Playdoh. Get in touch with your inner child. I’ve got plenty of hand drums, if you’d like to try that. It brings out the kid in all of us and blows off steam.
6. Take a day trip. Pick a destination that you’ve always wanted to visit.
7. Take time out to dream about the next phase of your business or career. If you’re local, I’m starting a low-cost group coaching program for creatives, musicians, and creative entrepreneurs to help plan, organize, and execute your ideas and projects for 2107. It will be based on my book, Find Your Divine Rhythm: A Creative’s Success Formula and will include loads of tips on marketing, branding, boosting your confidence, and time management. I have a private, online option as well. Click here if you’d like more info.
Hit the “pause” button this holiday season and take time out to reflect and recharge. Remember what Christmas is all about and count your blessings.
Dori Staehle, MBA lives in the Raleigh, NC area. She’s the Founder & CEO of Rock the Next Stage, a full-service entertainment company that includes Next Stage Entertainment, and Next Stage Drumming. Dori is also a coach, inspirational speaker, and the best-selling author of Find Your Divine Rhythm: A Creative’s Success Formula.